Near Police Department – GPS: 41.332870, -73.072918
Here the first settlers came in 1654 and
established a settlement called Uptown Derby.
It is now part of the City of Ansonia,
incorporated in 1889.
South of this green is the home of General
David Humphreys who, as aide-de-camp to
General George Washington, accepted the
British colors in surrender at Yorktown.
Many of the private homes on Elm Street are
pre-Revolutionary and the Episcopal cemetery
has gravestones dating back to 1741.
During the Revolution, men who lived here
served with the Second Connecticut Regiment
and drilled on this green, then called
Erected by the Town of Ansonia
the Ansonia Historic District Commission
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Return to Historical Marker Main Page