Near Town Hall – GPS: 41.728139, -72.367861
The first settlement was made in 1713 in the
southeast part of the present town. Portions
of Lebanon, Hebron, and Coventry joined to
form the Ecclesiastical Society of Andover,
which was recognized by the General Assembly
in May, 1747.
Daniel Burnap, famous clock-maker, was born
here in 1759. Major John Hutchinson Buell,
native and resident on Andover, served
throughout the Revolution and later in the
Indian wars in Ohio.
Rochambeau’s army of six thousand marched
through Andover in 1781 to the siege of
Yorktown in Virginia and camped here on their
return trip the following year.
In 1848 the town was incorporated, the
railroad came, and small industries prospered.
Erected by the Town of Andover
the Andover American Revolution
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Return to Historical Marker Main Page